*Weight Management & Fat Loss
*Weight loss works differently on each person so we customize a plan to fit your needs and adjust accordingly. For your own customized plan please schedule a complimentary consult or call the office (813) 341-2600 to speak with a Wellness Specialist about the different customized weight loss plans we offer. FDA approved medicines such as Glutathione, B-12, B-6, MIC, T3, Testosterone, Progesterone, Customized diets, Lipotropics, Body Composition Analysis, HGH, L-Carnitine and a Detox are some of the things we may use to help achieve your weight loss goals Here is a video showing the key differences between weight loss and fat loss.
Medical Weight Loss
*The medical weight loss program is comprised of specialists who have training and expertise in the field of weight loss. Whether your goal is to lose weight for cosmetic reasons or you are suffering from poor health due to obesity, you will find the doctors and specialists at AMOWC are dedicated to helping you lose weight, live longer and be healthier. The specialists involved in our medical weight loss program use the latest techniques available in the field. With high quality nutritional products available only to medical facilities and the latest FDA-approved weight loss prescription medications, the physicians at AMOWC have an advantage over every commercial weight loss clinic or program when it comes to helping patients lose weight quickly and effectively. Each patient who visits AMOWC is treated as a unique individual and receives a customized weight loss program with personal counseling and careful monitoring to best achieve short and long term goals. Although our primary goal is to help you reach your weight loss target quickly and easily, the focus of care is to allow you to maintain your weight loss permanently so that you will not put the weight back on after you complete your weight loss program. If you are serious about losing weight, you will find the weight loss specialists at AMOWC to be experts in the subjects of obesity, nutrition, fitness, prescription medication, exercise, behavioral motivation, weight loss counseling and weight related illness.
What causes weight gain & obesity?
*Declining hormone levels, food allergies, toxin build-up, lack of exercise, inflammation in the gut, nutritional deficiencies, incorrect eating (including those 500 calorie per day diets with prescription drugs), and thyroid issues are all symptoms of weight gain and obesity. At AMOWC, we do a complete test to identify the underlying problems of your weight gain and then correct them. We will teach you how to eat food properly and thus turn on your “fat burning furnace”. You should never starve to lose weight. Just a 30 minute complimentary consult will convince you of our system and our ability to get that body back to the way it used to be. So, if you are tired of the yo-yo dieting and want to optimize yourself, call 813-341-2600 for a complimentary consult. “I’ve was overweight by 25lbs for more than 6 years. I tried every trick to get in shape and get to an optimal weight of 165lbs. I regularly work-out, spin for 60 mins twice a week, run for 3~4 miles 3 times a week, and whole lot of exercise, but I could never knock off more than 4 lbs, just to get them back the moment I had to travel for business and could not do any exercise. I ate healthy, never had soda, nor the cheesy burgers or pizzas for that matter..did not indulge in ice creams or dough-nuts, and often avoided fried food..it did not help me as the stubborn fat continued to stick on me..I walked into AMOWC one day with little hope and expected a stereotype solution:- diet and eat no fat and have some supplements and I should be fine..But I was pleasantly surprised when they said they want to analyze my blood work and for the first time the doc walked me through every blood reading and informed me what is wrong with my hormone balance. The blood work says all the parameters are within control, AMOWC told me how some of the critical ones are sub-optimal and borderline. Immediately I signed up for the weight loss program. In 4 weeks I knocked off 15 lbs, lost a couple of inches, started having high energy and felt not just energized but also young and fresh. I now could run for 6 miles under 1 hr without grasping for breath, have my heart rate below 85% of max while doing cardio, stopped occasional alcohol and don’t feel like touching either, appreciating organic food and many good things..AMOWC just told me that 80% of the problem lies in my gut and if I keep it healthy I will not only live a long life, but live a very good healthy life!!! Its been a month since I have maintained my weight, and I know I will not put on any more unwanted pounds.. The best part of AMOWC is they never pestered me to sign up for anything. Thanks AMOWC for helping me live a good life!!! You are not after business, but to make people understand how to live a better life..Before visiting AMOWC I must have spent a ton of money to keep myself fit, but the results were never good, but with AMOWC its cost effective and anyone who walks in through that door will surely know they are at the right place..The front office is supportive and Dr. Kalin and Marty are outstanding.” – Rajesh S.
*Energy balance means that your energy IN equals your energy OUT. To maintain a healthy weight, your energy IN and OUT do not have to balance exactly every day. It’s the balance over time that helps you maintain a healthy weight. If your hormones are not optimized, your body is deficient in nutrients, you have toxins in your gut (from food allergies, medications, metals, plastics, etc.) and you are not eating correctly, you WILL always gain your weight back and then some! Let us optimize your body and make getting to your optimal weight safe and easy (The prescription diet pills that are all the rave cause serious blood and heart conditions while affecting your nervous system). The same amount of energy IN and energy OUT over time = weight stays the same More IN than OUT over time = weight gain More OUT than IN over time = weight loss Overweight and obesity happen over time when you take in more calories than you use.
*People who are inactive are more likely to experience weight gain because they do not burn up the calories that they take in from food and drinks. An inactive lifestyle also raises your risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, colon cancer, and other health problems.
Our environment does not always help with healthy lifestyle habits; in fact, it encourages obesity. Some reasons include:
- *Lack of neighborhood sidewalks and safe places for recreation. Not having area parks, trails, sidewalks, and affordable gyms makes it hard for people to be physically active.
- *Work schedules. People often say that they do not have time to be physically active given the long hours at work and the time spent commuting back and forth to work.
- *Over-sized food portions. Americans are surrounded by huge food portions in restaurants, fast food places, gas stations, movie theaters, supermarkets, and even at home. Some of these meals and snacks can feed two or more people. Eating large portions means too much energy IN. Over time, this will cause weight gain if it isn’t balanced with physical activity.
- *Lack of access to healthy foods. Some people do not live in neighborhoods that have supermarkets that sell healthy foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Or if they do, these items are often too expensive for them to buy.
- *Food advertising. Americans are surrounded by ads from food companies. Often children are the targets of advertising for high-calorie, high-fat snacks and sugary drinks. The goal of these ads is to sway people to buy these high-calorie foods, and often they do.
- *Genes and Family History
*Studies of identical twins that have been raised apart show that genes have a strong influence on one’s weight. Overweight and obesity tend to run in families. Your chances of being overweight are greater if one or both of your parents are overweight or obese. Your genes also may affect the amount of fat you store in your body and where on your body you carry the excess fat.
*Sometimes hormone problems cause overweight and obesity and can make weight loss seem impossible. These problems include:
- *Underactive thyroid (also called hypothyroidism). This is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone (commonly referred to as TSH, T3 and T4). Lack of thyroid hormone will slow down your metabolism and cause weight gain. You’ll also feel tired and weak.
- *Cushing’s syndrome. This is a condition in which the body’s adrenal glands make too much of the hormone cortisol. Cushing’s syndrome also can happen when people take high levels of medicines such as prednisone for long periods of time. People with Cushing’s syndrome gain weight, have upper-body obesity, a rounded face, fat around the neck, and thin arms and legs.
- *Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). This is a condition that affects about 5 to 10 percent of women of childbearing age. Women with PCOS often are obese, have excess hair growth, and have reproductive and other health problems due to high levels of hormones called androgens.
*Certain medicines such as corticosteroids (for example, prednisone), antidepressants (for example, Elavil®), and medicines for seizures (for example, Neurontin®) may cause you to gain weight. These medicines can slow the rate at which your body burns calories, increase your appetite, or cause your body to hold on to extra water—all of which can lead to weight gain.
*As you get older, you tend to lose muscle, especially if you’re less active. Muscle loss can slow down the rate at which your body burns calories. If you do not reduce your calorie intake as you get older, you may gain weight. Midlife weight gain in women is mainly due to aging and lifestyle, but menopause also plays a role. Many women gain around 5 pounds during menopause and have more fat around the waist than they did before. Ask AMOWC about our hormone replacement therapy for both men and women.
What is different about AMOWC’s medical weight loss program?
*Eating correct food and exercise are the key factors to weight management 70% of the time. However, nutritional deficiencies, hormone issues, food allergies, sleep, and toxin build-up can also play a major role in weight loss and metabolism. We look at all these aspects, do the correct testing and create a premium customized plan to achieve your ideal goals & body weight. Without a comprehensive plan you are basically trying a number of different things while waiting to see if it finally works. We get right to the root of the issues, correct them and educate you on how to maintain your new lifestyle. Maintenance is really what weight loss is all about. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet or diet mentality. In fact, AMOWC stresses that the weight loss program is also an ongoing educational process. Rebound weight will not happen when you approach your weight loss properly and we intend to show you how easy it is. “When you first come to our center, you already know how to eat too much. During the dieting period, you learn how to eat properly; and now with maintenance, we will show you how to eat just enough.” Obviously, this process works: over 85% of our patients keep their new slim weight. This is an astounding statistic compared to the 5% success rate of other diet programs worldwide. And it is an easier process than you might think. The 9 tenets that AMOWC highly recommends in order to maintain ideal health and weight stabilization:
- Hormone and/or HGH balance and/or restoration
- Testing for food allergies
- Testing for nutritional deficiencies
- Proper exercise
- Nutritional sound food
- Quality supplementation
- Education and/or positive attitude
Hormone & HGH Balance and/or Restoration
*Hormones have to be balanced between female (estrogens like progesterone), male (androgens such as testosterone), and non-sex hormones for proper thyroid function, adrenal support and to optimize the general health of individuals trying to achieve their weight loss goals.
- *Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough “energy-generating” thyroid hormones (t3, t4, TSH). Weight gain is a classic symptom of this dysfunction.
- *One of the functions of cortisol is to trigger a glucocorticoid effect—helping the body produce blood sugar from proteins. Excess glucose is then used for lipogenesis (fat production). Research has linked over-secretion of cortisol with obesity and increased fat storage in the body.
- *Having high levels of insulin can be a good indicator of insulin resistance, which is common in obese individuals. Maintaining stable blood sugar levels is one of the many ways to help stabilize your insulin levels. Having high levels of insulin is a major factor in weight gain.
- *Illness and aging can lead to development of a testosterone deficiency in adult males. The first signs are a decline in mental and physical performance as well as psychological symptoms (depression, anxiety, irritability, difficulty concentrating).
- *Symptoms for human growth hormone (HGH) deficiency include fatigue, lack of energy, poor sleep, decreased exercise capacity and psychological problems. Signs include decreased lean body mass, increased visceral fat, decreased muscle strength and bone density, and increased lipids.
- *DHEA (dehydroepianandrosterone) which is produced by the adrenal gland and drops after 30 years of age, fights cortisol and helps with obesity.
Testing and Food Allergies
- *If you have a food allergy or intolerance, this will slow down the ability to metabolize fats due to blockage & congestion and can make weight loss seem impossible.
- *An allergic reaction to food may cause the body to retain as much as 4 percent of its body weight in edema fluid (water fluid).
- *Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is another clinical symptom linked with food allergy, and usually occurs 2-6 hours after ingesting the offending food allergen.
Testing for Nutrition Deficiencies
*Certain medications such as beta-blockers, statins, antibiotics, benzos, and anti-depressants deplete vital vitamins and nutrients from the body that are necessary components for efficient carbohydrate metabolism. This can eventually lead to weight gain. Having high levels of free radicals within the body destroys the mitochondria, which is the housing for energy production. Free radicals destroying the mitochondria slow down carbohydrate metabolism. Having your essential micronutrients tested can help correct any imbalances that can lead to unwanted weight gain.
- *The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn at rest.
- *Regular exercise makes the body more sensitive to insulin
- *Exercise boosts the “feel good hormone” dopamine
- *Exercise, diet, and cardio is the best trio for weight loss — given you are hormonally sound.
- *Being in shape boosts confidence, physical appeal, mental acuity, and overall protects you from future complications.
Nutritionally Sound Food
- *Get all protein sources from complete proteins e.g. chicken, beef, fish.
- *Cow milk is high in casein, low in whey. Mother’s milk is high in whey, low in casein. Goat milk is closest to mother’s milk, which is optimal in avoiding bloating, cramps, gas, etc.
- *Eat breakfast; if you do not, you’ll gain weight. Insulin is highest in the morning, waiting to soak up those vital nutrients from the foods to help make you more productive during the day. Skipping breakfast leads to sluggishness and loss of motivation early in the day. You increase your rate of weight gain by 45% if you skip breakfast!
- *Increase fiber intake; it gives one satiety (fullness). A decrease in caloric intake by 10% can occur by adding 14 grams of fiber a day.
- *Eating too low of calories boosts cortisol, body will start storing fat due to a fight or flight response, in return you will gain adipose tissue (stomach fat).
- *Avoid fast food’s hidden sugars especially in the new “diet” menus.
- *Do not eat carbohydrates alone.
*Detoxification is highly recommended prior to a weight loss program to get rid of toxins and residue from refined/processed foods. Toxic cleansing includes colon cleansing, parasite cleansing, kidney cleansing, and liver cleansing, providing a solid foundation. Detox can save your body from requiring drastic solutions such as surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. Following a body cleansing and detoxification plan and using natural cures whenever possible, will help you live a longer and healthier life & help promote weight loss.
- *Herbal and green tea are great sources of antioxidants.
- *Fish oil is great for warding off inflammation (obesity is a type of inflammatory response).
- *Digestive enzymes help break down foods.
- *CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) helps insulin work more efficiently. It can break plateaus in your weight loss regimen.
- *Carnitine has the same effects as CLA: burns fat and helps with plateaus in weight loss.
*Sleep is required for recovery and rejuvenation. The body releases its largest pulse of Growth Hormone between the first 1-2hrs of sleep.
- *Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation. In studies, people who slept after learning a task did better on tests later.
- *Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.
- *Safety: sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime. These lapses may cause falls and mistakes such as medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents.
- *Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Too little sleep can also leave you too tired to do the things you like to do.
- *Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels (cortisol), and irregular heartbeat.
- *Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.
Education on Proper Weight Loss and Positive Attitude
- *Counseling patients about the advantages of weight loss.
- *Unhealthy weight gain can lead to serious health implications.
- *Maintaining healthy weight is a life style change.
- *Setting realistic and individualized goals for weight loss.
- *Behavior therapy: Assessing the patient’s motivation and readiness to implement the medical weight loss therapy, providing continual encouragement.
- *Combined therapy: Incorporating a regimen that combines well-balanced diets, increased physical activity and behavior therapy.
- *Reinforcing the importance of maintaining a healthy weight.
- *Once initial weight loss is achieved, patients are counseled to continue their diet and exercise regiments to maintain their new healthy weight.
- *Setting up long term goals and mentoring in maintenance phase.
Here are 10 key facts about our Medical Weight Loss Program:
*FACT #1 When you have reached your goal, you can stay there for life. We will arm you with the knowledge and techniques to be able to keep the excess weight off permanently. You will not experience rebound weight gain (medical term: recidivism).
*FACT #2 Expect to live an extra 10 years or so. Maintaining your goal weight is critical in preventing stroke, heart attacks, certain forms of cancer, hypertension, lowered pulse rate, cleaner arteries and veins, and improving cholesterol levels and blood sugar (thus reducing or eliminating fatigue and food cravings).
*FACT #3 Cravings are gone. Cravings are created by an unbalanced diet and unstable blood sugar levels. By learning how to eat sensibly – cravings and abnormal hunger become a non-issue.
*FACT #4 Eat what you like and stop worrying about dieting all the time. Maintenance signifies that moderation prevails – your really strict dieting days are over. They have been replaced with a plentiful and delicious menu of healthy and wholesome foods.
*FACT #5 You will look younger. So many of our patients who have lost 25 to 40 pounds (and more) routinely hear they look 10 years younger. You can look forward to years of nice skin tone that is notably healthy and retains its elasticity.
*FACT #6 Finally – be the object of someone else’s fantasies. You may find some very pleasant side effects of maintaining your weight, particularly regarding romance, sexuality and emotional involvement. Medically speaking, these side effects include cleaner veins and arteries and improved blood supply that help many patients with improved sexual function and general well-being well into old age.
*FACT #7 That slim fitting item in the store has your name on it. Really. Those troublesome inches around the thighs, buttocks and waist will stay off. And as you continue your new way of caring for your body, you will find it allows you to consider fashions that you did not think were possible.
*FACT #8 You will have energy to do things you never thought possible. Maintenance takes into account a full and exciting life that requires lots of energy and places no limits on sporting and physical activity. Your ongoing food intake contains all the protein and nutrients that you will ever need.
*FACT #9 Your career prospects look as good as you do. It has been said that the decision to hire a new employee is made in the first sixty seconds of a job interview. A trim personal appearance may very well determine your future. The answer of course, is being in the best physical shape possible and maintaining it throughout your career.
*FACT #10 We will always be here for you. We are aware that there are numerous reasons why, over time, it is possible to put some weight back on: demanding careers, stressful lifestyles and convenient fast foods. We would much rather help you take off 5 or 15 pounds now (and that irritating inch or two off your waistline) than 20 or 40 pounds later on. So we have developed maintenance plans. We want you to feel comfortable about coming in – all you really need is a minor ‘tune-up’. You are not on your own and we will take care of it in a matter of weeks. Our specialists will create a carefully designed food plan that will allow you to reach your weight loss goal. For the first week or two, additional adjustments of food may be necessary. In time, we find what particular foods cause you to gain weight. It does not mean you cannot ever eat that food, but you will have to change your portions and preparation methods. Everybody’s calorie requirements will be different. The process involves reintroducing foods to find out how many calories you can actually burn and not gain weight. Remember: People metabolize different foods differently. Too many carbohydrates may be the cause of your weight gain. Other people may not be able to metabolize dairy fats efficiently. We determine which foods work for you and which ones trigger weight gain. Of course, you are probably anxious to try some foods not previously allowed on other diets. You can now have more variety in carefully measured portions. Here’s how easy it is go get started:
- *Call AMOWC at 813.341.2600 and ask questions. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the medical weight loss programs.
- *Make an appointment for a consultation.
- *Come in and meet the staff. The doctor and professional staff at AMOWC will get to know you and help you determine the best weight loss program for your individual needs.
- *Begin your personalized weight loss program and start seeing results! Not only will you be healthier, but you will feel better about yourself.